Monday, August 25, 2008

Taiwan Adventures: 2008-08-21

Part VI
South Korea vs. Taiwan


At first look, I would say the people from Taiwan are friendlier than the people from Korea. However, it's not that they are friendlier; they are less conservative, that's all.

Having lived in Korea for 6 months now, I consider myself an expert on the Korean demeanor towards foreigners! =) You see, Koreans might be misunderstood in many ways and quite easily.

On the street, they will look at you from the corner of their eyes and avert their eyes as soon as you make contact. Not a smile, not a nod, not even a frown. Nothing, just a desperate look to seem unfazed by your presence, which actually creates the opposite effect. When I first arrived, although I was well aware of their conservative nature, I sometimes felt uneasy, never unwelcome but simply uneasy. However, in general if you speak to a Korean on the street, whether it be a question regarding directions or the bus fare, a smile will immediately erupt on their faces as they take steps towards you. Their conservative nature will keep them away from you, but once you engage in a conversation with them, they will be more than happy to have the opportunity to exchange what is mostly a series of English and Korean jargon heavily accompanied by body language.

In Taiwan, people looked me in the eye and kindly smiled, some even waiving hello! That is very different from the Korean way of doing things. Having been in Taiwan one full day, I've been smiled at, waved at and even asked for the time! Old and young people alike...didn't seem to make a difference.

[Side Note: I'll have a lot to type up on my blog! Gosh...(yup, my fingers are hurting now)]

Also, the sun is getting really hot. I'm relaxing before relaxing some more! I have an appointment at 11:00am for a Deluxe Spa Facial that will last 1 hr 15 min, including a massage. Boy, I need that after trekking that backpack all over Taipei and Keelung.

Yesterday, because of a combination of the heat and the extra weight resting on my shoulders and back, I could care less about visiting Keelung more extensively. I just ended up chilling on the stairs of the Cultural Center, surrounded by the youth of the port city. It was amusing to hear them speak excitedly, about what youthful people talk about, in a language completely foreign to me!

No comments: