My travels started early Tuesday morning with a 4.50 hour bus ride to Incheon International Airport. Everything was going well. I checked in then read until it was time to board. At 5:00pm, I finally boarded the plane who would soon take me to a myriad of wanted and unwanted adventures.
The plane ride was a nice 2 hour trip to Taiwan. I must say that it's very different traveling in this side of the world. What I mean is that for a mere 2 hour trip, we were served a hot meal. I'm still accustomed to American flights that only serve you drinks and peanuts.
Anyway, upon arrival to Taiwan, I checked with the information desk about which bus I would need to take to get to Taipei. Easy enough...it cost me a whole NT$130 (New Taiwan Dollar) or about US$4.00 for a 1 hour trip to the big city. I got on board the bus, after telling the driver where I was going, and off we went.
It was a nice enough ride and I relaxed as I waited for my stop. I was carefully keeping track of the stops on my mini-map: it was supposed to be so easy since I was getting off at the last stop. Alas, that stop never came and after I realized we were getting back on the interstate, I asked the driver -- or showed him my stop -- and he nodded, said something in Chinese then pointed forward. I understood that to mean he was going there. Although strange, I decided to wait and see what his words meant.
After a few minutes, I realized we were heading back to the airport! To make a long story short, he took me (and 2 other girls) all the way back to the airport and we had to transfer buses twice before heading back to Taipei again. This time, they had us sit in front and the new driver motioned us off once our stops came up.
The stop was in front of the hostel, so I did not have much walking and wandering to do! I was due to arrive at my hostel at 9:00pm. It was now 11:20pm. I went up and found the lights off and no one at the reception desk. What was I supposed to do now? There was a phone, so I tried calling the cell phone number listed on the business card but there was no answer. I thought that maybe I could sleep on the couch, a couch in the reception area! mmm....not a good idea. I started looking for information for other hostels or hotels in the area, although I really did not want to go back out, hunting at this time. I said a quick prayer and called another hostel, long distance on my cell phone. [Quick note: I am glad my cell works here -- for emergencies of course.] They had room at this hostel so although I did not want to go, I headed out the door and waited for the elevator. Out from it came a young man looking concerned seeing me leaving. He then asked me if I was not able to get in. I told him the door was open, but I had not checked in yet. He told me to come back in and have a seat. I sat on that couch I had previously contemplating sleeping on. I thanked God that young man came when he did. He did not work at the hostel, but his mother did. He had gone back to wake her up. Anyway, she was sound asleep so he gave me linen, a key for my locker and showed me to my bed. He told me I could take care of the bill in the morning with his mother. Thank God (x3)!!! I was tired, my feet and back were hurting. All I wanted to do was shower and lay down in bed.
The room was cold (nice) and my bed was the top one (double nice). After my shower, I quietly slipped into bed, desperately trying not to wake up the other 6 women sleeping. That was easy for the bed did not creek or anything. They were nothing like the bunk beds at the many retreats I've attended.
I drew the curtains around my bed and fell asleep with my bags tucked near me.
End of Day 1!!! LOL





















No comments:
Post a Comment