Happy Birthday Regina-Marie!!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part One
I woke up this morning by the sound of men talking outside. After listening to their conversation, I figured they were boys with men voices. It was now 8:00am. I got out of bed, showered and got ready to check -in and out!!
I checked out of the hostel early and set out for what turned out to be more than just a small adventure. Having exchanged only 100,000 won (about US$100) in Korea (don't know what I was thinking), I quickly realized I would need more. I paid my fees at the hostel and was left with scraps! So I started out on a hunt. What would be so hard about finding a bank that would exchange foreign currency? Finding a bank that would exchange the Korean Won for the New Taiwanese Dollar (NTD) was borderline impossible!
As I walked down the crowded streets, never passing a bank without going in to inquire about their exchange capacity (the worst thing they can say is NO, right Mommy??) my brain was actively working, thinking and organizing possible solutions to this problem. If none of the banks in Taipei City (and I mean none of them for I was visiting them all -- even the smallest branches similar to The Oviedo Bank in ... where? Exactly my point!). So where was I? Yes, So if none of the banks in Taipei could solve my problem, I had already decided to take the shuttle, the route I knew too well, back to the airport and change my money there.
I should have thought about the difficulties of exchanging foreign currencies. But what did I know about that? I'm still used to the US Dollar being accepted world wide, even in small, oh so small Boca Chica, Dominican Republic! (Due to the reputation of that town, I'm not sure it is wise admitting I've been there--but we didn't know at the time!) LOL
In fact, every bank I walked in immediately assumed I wanted to exchange US$ and guided me in without letting me finish my sentence. It went a little something like this:
Tired, thirsty Cynthia: Excuse me, is is possible to exchange...
Bright, lively teller/security: Yes, yes...US$...yes, yes..this way....
Hopeful Cynthia...first 4 times): Really? You exchange Korean won here?
Confused teller: Ko....what? US$ no?
Ready to move on Cynthia: Korean won. Money from South Korea?
(why am I bothering with this...obviously they don't)
Apologetic teller: Oh, no...so sorry!
I finally found peace at MegaBank! The magic words came at approximately 9:30am:
"Yes, we do. Please take a number and wait here please."
I was still skeptical until the manager (I assume) showed me the exchange rate on their super extensive list of foreign currencies. MegaBank is just that: MEGA! So the ordeal of finding a super bank ended there. Ouf....now I could buy water and breakfast with no worries of having insufficient cash! (I can picture your face now Mom!!!)
My first meal in Taipei, I'm sad to report, was eaten at the local..mm..Starbucks! LOL By the time I got my NTDs, I was famished and dehydrated. I walked in 7eleven for a bottle of water and then went to the first shop I found, which happened to be Starbucks (they are at nearly every corner...it's crazy). So coffee and a sandwich it was. I'll have time for Taiwanese cuisine...mucho meals!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part One
I woke up this morning by the sound of men talking outside. After listening to their conversation, I figured they were boys with men voices. It was now 8:00am. I got out of bed, showered and got ready to check -in and out!!
I checked out of the hostel early and set out for what turned out to be more than just a small adventure. Having exchanged only 100,000 won (about US$100) in Korea (don't know what I was thinking), I quickly realized I would need more. I paid my fees at the hostel and was left with scraps! So I started out on a hunt. What would be so hard about finding a bank that would exchange foreign currency? Finding a bank that would exchange the Korean Won for the New Taiwanese Dollar (NTD) was borderline impossible!
As I walked down the crowded streets, never passing a bank without going in to inquire about their exchange capacity (the worst thing they can say is NO, right Mommy??) my brain was actively working, thinking and organizing possible solutions to this problem. If none of the banks in Taipei City (and I mean none of them for I was visiting them all -- even the smallest branches similar to The Oviedo Bank in ... where? Exactly my point!). So where was I? Yes, So if none of the banks in Taipei could solve my problem, I had already decided to take the shuttle, the route I knew too well, back to the airport and change my money there.
I should have thought about the difficulties of exchanging foreign currencies. But what did I know about that? I'm still used to the US Dollar being accepted world wide, even in small, oh so small Boca Chica, Dominican Republic! (Due to the reputation of that town, I'm not sure it is wise admitting I've been there--but we didn't know at the time!) LOL
In fact, every bank I walked in immediately assumed I wanted to exchange US$ and guided me in without letting me finish my sentence. It went a little something like this:
Tired, thirsty Cynthia: Excuse me, is is possible to exchange...
Bright, lively teller/security: Yes, yes...US$...yes, yes..this way....
Hopeful Cynthia...first 4 times): Really? You exchange Korean won here?
Confused teller: Ko....what? US$ no?
Ready to move on Cynthia: Korean won. Money from South Korea?
(why am I bothering with this...obviously they don't)
Apologetic teller: Oh, no...so sorry!
I finally found peace at MegaBank! The magic words came at approximately 9:30am:
"Yes, we do. Please take a number and wait here please."
I was still skeptical until the manager (I assume) showed me the exchange rate on their super extensive list of foreign currencies. MegaBank is just that: MEGA! So the ordeal of finding a super bank ended there. Ouf....now I could buy water and breakfast with no worries of having insufficient cash! (I can picture your face now Mom!!!)
My first meal in Taipei, I'm sad to report, was eaten at the local..mm..Starbucks! LOL By the time I got my NTDs, I was famished and dehydrated. I walked in 7eleven for a bottle of water and then went to the first shop I found, which happened to be Starbucks (they are at nearly every corner...it's crazy). So coffee and a sandwich it was. I'll have time for Taiwanese cuisine...mucho meals!





















No comments:
Post a Comment