Monday, August 25, 2008

Taiwan Adventures: 2008-08-20

Part Three - Bus to Keelung

Finding the bus stop was supposed to be easy, the lady at the front desk of the hostel led me to believe. Yes, finding the never ending groups of bus stops was easy, but the bus stop for buses headed to Keelung? Not so much!

There were local buses, airport buses, hospital buses and other buses...which one was going to Keelung? I guess if I could decipher through the Chinese characters I would have been just fine. So I did what I do best when all else fails: I asked! The security guard to the temple near by pointed me in the right direction. I stood there waiting, watching some buses zoom by and others briefly stopping to collect a few passengers. Which one was going to Keelung? So after a while, I started asking the bus drivers...more like one word sentences: "Keelung?" All of them waved me off...no! (Side note: my backpack is getting heavier on my back all of a sudden.)

I asked a lady and she told me the bus will say Keelung and there would be no numbers on the bus. Great. So I kept asking the drivers until eureka!!! I got on after paying my NT$45 (US$1.37) and enjoyed a cool 30 minute ride to Keelung! At last.


Once at the harbor, finding the correct port was a little challenging -- but I have become an expert at overcoming challenges for this trip! It's been decided. Once I knew where to come back to in oh....4 hours, I set off to discover the small city of Keelung!


Chinese dumplings at the Miaokou Night Market are yummy! That's all I have to report. Pictures are in the gallery...

Dianji Temple

Miaokou Night Market

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are definately the bravest friend I have!!!!!!!!

Gosh, if I were a guy iwould so marry you!