Monday, August 25, 2008

Last Full Day in Taiwan

Part IX
Last day in Taiwan, well last full day! I'm leaving tomorrow morning and to tell you the truth, I'm ready. I'm ready to be home, back to familiarity. As I was writing this, it dawned on me that I'm glad I feel this way about Korea...calling it home and everything! Or else, it would make for a painful 6 months to go.

So what have I been up to today? A whole lot of trying to figure out where to go...a whole lot of asking...then guessing...then asking again. My plan for today was to visit the National Palace Museum, the Shillin Night Market, the Confucius Temple and Taipei 101. Well after three buses and a whole lot of walking and feeling sticky, I finally arrived at the museum. Really interesting and historically rich museum!



Next, I was off to find the night market. Surprisingly (lol), I got on the right bus THEN walked in the right direction! First time today!!!!!! Got a little lost, asked and right when I thought I was getting lost again, I saw the market. Then came pouring down the rain. It reminded me of Forest Gump for the simple fact that the rain didn't seem to have chosen how it would bless us with its presence yet. It was coming in all directions and my little, cute red umbrella looked quite silly!
(The rain was horrible and I forgot to take pictures!!)

I'm now in a coffee shop, completely soaked, waiting for the rain to pass. It's 3:45pm and I would really like to make it to the Confucius Temple. If not, I'll go to the one near the hostel. Later, I'll head to Dintaifung and then Taipei 101. I'm tired and soaked...jeans are sticking to my legs!!!

---

I did make it to the Confucius Temple and it was worth the walk in the rain! It's truly an amazing temple and the pictures I snapped do not make it justice. It was raining and my hands were unsteady --holding my umbrella and my camera.

Regardless, it was quite a site. Completely different from Korean temples. In Taiwan, the temples are loud, people buzzing by and are located right in the cities. But in Korea, the temples are quiet and peaceful, mostly tucked in the mountains. I can't decide which style I like most: I love the tranquility of the Korean temples but love the artistic nature of the Chinese temples.

Later, I did go to Dintaifung and Taipei 101. Hyunju HIGHLY and HIGHLY recommended Dintaifung and her friends were apparently sad they could not come along with me!!! When I pulled up to the restaurant, there was a massive crowd waiting for tables. The lady giving out numbers told me it would be 40 minutes (at least, she specified) before I got seated. Of course I would wait...it's not like I can come back tomorrow. So I sat on the curb looking at the menu. I didn't even have time to make up my mind for then she came back and asked me if I would be willing to share a large table with others. Fo'sho'! So I got seated in like 3 minutes.

The food was excellent and so was the company. I was seated with a group of Japanese tourists however, they were not together! How funny that they all got seated together. Anyway, we had a good time.

Next, it was Taipei 101...the tallest building in the world with the fasted elevator! Amazing shopping mall! Take a look at the pictures to see (in the gallery)!

We went from the 89th floor to the 1st floor in 42 seconds!!! WOW....

No comments: