Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sunday Adventures

What a day! I’m sure glad to be home now. Today is Sunday and I woke up early in order to go to mass at 9:00am. Although I was a little hesitant on attending, (ahhhhh…the stares I would get for going to a Korean mass!) I gathered my strength and walked up the little hill outside my house, turned right onto another narrow street and the church was ahead of me (found a shorter way to get there yesterday). I hurried on as everyone else around me for mass was about to start. At the gate, I was nicely greeted in Korean and I replied. Once in the church, I thought about sitting all the way up front like I usually did back home, but I decided against it. I sat in the very last pew as to not distract the other parishioners. I know it might sound weird, but it’s true: wherever I go, people stop their conversations to stare at me or talk in a very low voice ABOUT me. I’m quite popular in my neighborhood!

In any case, I brought with me my little book of prayers and was able to follow along with the priest. I just wish I had brought with me the book they gave the lectors at Good Shepherd. It has the readings as well as reflections about the readings. That’s ok though because as soon as I get access to the internet, I’ll just look up the readings online.

So right before mass started, 2 young girls sat at the other end of the pew I was sitting in. They chatted about me for a little bit as they were surprised to see me, a foreigner, attending a Korean mass. After communion, they both started to slide down closer and closer to me then they stopped. Then a few minutes later, they repeated the process until they were both sitting right next to me! It was funny and I had to really control myself not to start laughing. Theresa, as I would later find out was her name, leaned towards me and quietly asked me where I was from. Both girls could not stop giggling. I replied “Florida” and thought I should probably specify “America” after I saw the blank expression on her face. At that, she let out what I thought was a pretty loud “Ahhhhh” and turned to her friend to report the latest news! Her friend, Claudia leaned closer to me and asked me for my “Christian Name”, which I thought was a little different than what I’m used to hearing here. Usually, Koreans refer to a western name as an English name. So anyway, I told her my name and they introduced themselves as Theresa, a high school senior and Claudia, a university student! Pleased to meet you both…no really, I’m very happy to have met you!

After the priest left, I said goodbye to both girls who bowed and said oh so proudly “Goodbye!!!!”. I left the church and headed down the street in search of a store that sold bus cards. I saw one yesterday with Christine, but could not remember exactly where it was. I turned left down a little street, thinking it was around that area. My strong concentration was interrupted when I heard my name being shouted from the top of the hill! It took me a while though to realize that it was ME that someone was calling (already not used to that…how sad!). So I turned around and there were Theresa and Claudia standing in the middle of the street waving at me and saying “Bye bye…see you laeta!” So I laughed and waved back! I really hope I run into them again while strolling around town; I’ll probably see them at mass next Sunday. I plan on attending this church until I am comfortable enough to take the bus to the English mass…Which brings me to my real adventure today!

My life has been a big adventure since I took a plane to Korea on February 20th however today topped it all! First of all, I finally found the store Christine and I were looking at yesterday, but it was closed. The other stores around it did not sell bus cards. How did I ask the non-English speakers what I needed? Got my Korean-English book out and had them read the word “bus” while I acted out swiping one of my cards. They quickly understood what I needed and said “Anyo…No” while nodding their heads right then left. I went to about 2 to 3 stores and no one had them. One guy told me “bus station” which I understood to mean I could buy one at the bus station. Well, I decided I would get my card tomorrow because I needed to get on my way. Since tomorrow will be my first day at Ilshin Elementary School, I wanted to practice the route today on my own; thank God I did! It took me more than an hour to find a school located just 15 minutes from my house! LOL LOL LOL Let me walk you through my frustrations…
I stood at the bus stop, which is actually right outside my house. I asked a lady how much was the fare (letting her read that sentence from my book…I love this book BTW) and had her write down her answer. She was more than happy to as the smile on her face would suggest. 1,000 Korean won (~USD1). Ok, thank you very much. While I was waiting for the bus, I reviewed the notes I took yesterday with Christine. About 5 minutes later, bus 57 pulls up. Just like back home, you just slide your dollar into the machine. Watch out! You better hang on to something right after you get on because Korean bus drivers are always in a hurry! As soon as the last person puts in their cash or swipes their bus card, vrooooommmm…there they go! Luckily, I read about this little tip before I left my house, so I was ready!

So now I’m sitting on the bus, looking out my window and following my notes in order to make sure I do not miss my stop. Alas, I did anyway! I had a strange feeling I was supposed to get off with that woman (random woman) but I stayed. Then the bus turned off the main street and I knew I was about to get lost. Before I could ring to get off, someone else did (Thank you) and I got off. It was actually not too bad for I only had to walk a short distance to get back on “track”. Oh boy, I turned up a street and could not recognize the stores. Then I saw the Korean Bank, which is actually the bank I use here. I remember seeing it yesterday however I saw it only after we had passed the school and had taken a different route to return home. Wow…where was I? I asked a few people and they had no idea where Ilshin Elementary was. Man…I think I’m really lost! I passed 2 elementary schools and 1 middle school, none of which was my school. I finally entered a clothing store and asked a young lady if she knew where the school was. She then redirected my question to another man who spoke very little English, but at least enough for me to understand him. He told me her would look it up for me on the internet! Thank you!!!!! He looked it up and showed me the map then tried to explain it to me. I understood his directions, but he insisted on showing me from outside the store. He pointed me in the right direction and told me to walk up until the end of the road. Then he asked me if I read Hangul. Yes, as a matter of fact I do. So he smiled and told me to look for the Lotte Apartment buildings. I wrote down “Lotte” for him in Hangul and he added a few characters with the biggest smile and then told me to turn left before getting to the apartments. The school would then be on my right. Oh!!! Thank you very much sir! And I continued on my way, no longer lost!

I found the apartment buildings, got lost a little bit more and then finally recognized where I was! I found the school and confirmed it with a woman working in a grocery store (just in case). Bought a coffee and rice paddies (I really just needed change for the bus ride back home). Looked at my watch and it was 12:20pm! I got on the bus in front of my house at 11:10am. It was the longest 10 minute journey I ever took. I could not stop staring at the school building for I was so happy to have finally found it in what seemed to be an organized jungle!
I walked down the street to the bus stop, taking good care of noting land marks along the way. I got home in less than 15 minutes and that included slowly walking down the hill, stopping to take notes, waiting for the bus and riding it home! I’m really glad I went out today to find the school or else I would arrive at the school tomorrow late and frustrated!

So now I’m home and I just finished cleaning a little more. I cleaned the bathroom yesterday (took me 3 hours) and today I cleaned my main room again. I cleaned the closet, TV, nightstand and organized myself some more. I need to buy hangers. I had to leave my shirts laying flat in one of my suitcases and had to fold my pants in order to fit them in one of my drawers. I have an ongoing list of things to get, but I need to go to the bank first. I’m running out of money. But that’s ok, I’ll just go tomorrow. I have not even touched my kitchen yet! It’s such a mess in there and I don’t know where to start. What is bothering me of course is the mold…the rest is not bad! But anyway, I’m going to get my stuff ready for tomorrow now. I can’t wait to get the internet at home and be able to chat with all of you! I miss you very much!!!!! But please know that I do not regret not even for a single moment coming to Korea! It’s wonderful here…

I love you all!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're having fun! I saw your e-mail but haven't had time to reply because of work and all ... eh who am I kidding? I'll reply now :-)
Love you,
Grace

Anonymous said...

Betty says....
WOW! So good to read your blog! Sounds VERY interesting. I'm glad to know that you are getting settled, found your school(s) and most importantly, a Church!! Am excited to keep up with you through your blog...

Anonymous said...

to kill the mold simply buy the biggest bottle of bleach you can find and soak every square inch of mold surface in it. Other than that I am happy to hear you are doing great. I knew you would be fine. It is nice to hear that your main co-teacher is cool. TTL