Monday, March 17, 2008

EnglishEE Mass!

Yesterday was Sunday and I woke up in good spirits (like I usually do on Sundays...yeah, yeah, yeah)! I had an exciting day ahead of me: I would be attending an English mass, or as Koreans love to say, EnglishEE! I don't know why, but they sometimes tend to add an "EE" at the end of certain words: EnglishEE, OrangEE, to name a few!

At any rate, I had visitors this morning. The apartment owner along with his wife and son paid me a little visit. They wanted to pick up the old washer, but I explained in super broken English and Korean that the washer had been taken away when the new one was delivered. This was my opportunity to complain about the mold, which I did. The wife explained that she would be back in a few days to clean it up, but instead came back to my apartment a few minutes later with all her supplies and got busy. I was in a hurry trying to get ready, but this was important! I got the mold situation finally taken care of...yeah!! The ceiling wall is a little stained from the mold, but the danger is gone. I heard them speak about paint, so maybe they will paint it. I'm not sure. De toute facon, I can start cooking and leaving my sliding door open now! "Fresh" air from the street!!!

As soon as they left, I headed out the door. I met a friend in front of the Gwangju Migliore - a shopping mall - and we headed on to mass. It sure felt nice to be able to participate in the mass. I mean, whether the mass is said in English or in a foreign language, you being there and silently praying is technically participating, but what I mean is that I enjoyed responding to the priest, understanding everything and I especially enjoyed singing! Ohhh yes, I love to sing at church eventhough God chose NOT to bless me with this wonderful gift! The only difficult part for me was the homily. At times, it was difficult for me to understand the priest, but I eventually got the point by the end.

Afterwords, we enjoyed some good western food at Outback Steakhouse!

LONG digression:

In Korea, they have a TGIF but 1) I'm not sure where it is and 2) I'm not sure if I'm allowed to go. You see, my sisters and I agreed that they would not be allowed to go to Chili's until I got back. It's our "spot"; it's where we went when we wanted to just be us; it's where we got the famous (famous for us) 2-for-1 (or as I called it the 4-for-2) drinks; it's where we shared many laughs as well as "the weak, dragging legs" sensation once we stood up from our seats! --"Huummm....whose driving?" Nevertheless, we promised each other that we would go to Chili's only when the TRIO was the TRIO again! Now, TGIF is a nice little place sharing ALMOST the same type of ambiance as Chili's. Although we hardly ever went there (no 2-for-1 drinks), if memory serves me right, I was prohibited from visiting TGIF in Korea -- would only be fair to my sisters that I too abstained from something we enjoyed, even if infrequently!

Regardless, we did not go to TGIF, so I'm in the clear!

End of LONG digression!

To my understanding, the church as well as the restaurant were downtown. It is such a different atmosphere from where I live! The streets were swarming with busy bodies going about their Sunday business. I definitely have to go back in order to take a closer look around. I did not have time yesterday, for my friend and I were quite talkative at dinner (as far as I'm concerned, that's always a good thing).

Now I will go back to work! I was taking a short break before starting to plan my lessons. To tell you the truth, I'm all done planning. I worked over the week-end and got all that done. But I'll just go ahead and review anyway. The teachers like me here, so I better keep working hard in order to protect my good reputation! ;-) Lataz!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that I've been to Chili's yet or anything but I wasn't aware of that pact! :-)
Love you,
Grace

Cynthia said...

I'm glad you have not been though!!!! Ask Ina...because if the pact is off, or unclear, I'll just hang out at TGIF everyday! J/K

Anonymous said...

Betty says...Cynthia, I'm enjoying following your adventures through your Blogspot! Sounds as though you are doing GREAT!! I want one of those washer-dryer machines! Do they even HAVE them in the US???? I vote that you go ahead to TGIF!

Anonymous said...

Uhm excuse me ... but I don't think you should go to TGIF. Regina totally had a hamburger from Chilis a few weeks ago. Does take out count? Because we've not gone and actually sat there since last time with you and mom. Or was it you and Jen? Anyway, I haven't had any ... it's just not the same without you *tear*.

Anonymous said...

I say go to TGIF... I was never invited to these 'Girls night out', ah wait, I'm the brother... either way, you have to tell them if it compares to hear, we need input... (Stolen from the movie Short Circuit). If you don't go for them, go for me... the evil one

Cynthia said...

I will definitely go to TGIF and ENJOY it! I can't believe Regina ate there...take out DOES count! She was the one that came up with the idea too! lol
Charles, I'll let you know what it tastes like. But I ate at Outback twice: first time, food not soo good but second time, it was great...except for the powdery potatoes and the stringy cheese!