Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I heart EPIK!

I was sitting in class today thinking to myself that choosing to come to Korea through EPIK was by far the best decision I had ever made. I am very impressed with its organization as a whole and appreciate the knowledge of the majority of the staff regarding teaching in Korea.

A little bit of history here: the Korean government’s goal is to have at least one native speaker of English in every public school. Therefore, they have been hiring English teachers all around the world. A few years ago, Korea only looked for teachers from Canada and the United States. But today, in addition to Canadians and Americans, my orientation classes were filled with teachers from Britain, New Zealand, and even South Africa (only one or two I believe). The program is expanding and gaining more knowledge about the art of bringing in guest English teachers from around the world.

Tomorrow I will leave You Sung Hotel and head over to Gwangju City! My feelings are a little mixed at the moment; on one hand, I cannot wait to live in my own house…I mean room (lol) and on the other hand, I will miss immensely the new friends I made through this orientation. Thus is the nature of things I guess! I will move on to a new city and make my life there. Oh Lord, give me the strength, guidance and patience to settle in smoothly in my new life here in Korea!

No comments: