Monday, March 24, 2008

Busy week-end = draggin' Monday!

This week-end was a very busy one for me. After school on Friday, Hyun-ju and I went to the Shinsegae Department Store, a 15 minute drive from the school. Shinsegae is an 8 or 9 story building (can’t remember) and has a different department on each floor. I was able to buy my Clinique products and Hyun-ju got what she needed as well. I was really impressed with the department store…it reminded me of Town Center in Boca Raton and if you know that mall, you get the idea! There is even an overpriced grocery store in the basement and the mall is linked to the bus station, a huge bookstore and other popular restaurants.

Anyway, we walked around for a while and then met up with some of Hyun-ju’s college friends. Once a month, they meet up, supposedly to study English, but they only actually studied once. Every other meet, they have been going out to eat and chill! At least Friday they were able to practice their English skills since I was there! We went to Outback Steakhouse and ate Korean style. Since the others were running late, Hyun-ju, myself and another FUNNY girl, whose name I cannot remember (yet) ordered a mango salad, steak and cheesy fries to share between us. It was definitely different to do that in a western restaurant. I’ve gotten used to eating out of the same bowls in Korean restaurants, but this was new to me. I left early in order to make it to the 7:30p mass near my house. It was a very emotional mass even though I did not understand the priest -- but Good Friday is the same everywhere and we all remember the ultimate sacrifice Jesus made for us.

Saturday was just as busy! I ate dinner with Sang-yun (Dr. Gee) and his friend at a nearby Chinese restaurant. I finally had Jajamyong! Have you seen Coffee Prince? Well, they were eating Jajamyong for the eating contest…noodles with a type of black sauce. It was Mashi-soyo (delicious)! Right after that, I met up with Lauren and some other friends for the 2008 Music Festival. It was in a small venue in downtown Gwangju and I had a nice and relaxing time. But we were not done yet! We went to a Germain restaurant afterwards for some Soju and fried chicken. I was finally home after one o’clock in the morning. Then, I stayed up until 4am, trying to talk to my mom on Skype. It was a one way thing: they could see and hear me back home, but I got the short stick! =(

Easter Sunday! Went to mass near my house. As I was walking to mass, I thought that maybe I should have gone to the English mass since it was Easter, but I am glad I went there. It was a beautiful celebration and I was even able to sing along a bit! A number of songs were familiar to me, so I just sang in English! Later that evening, I was invited to eat dinner at Hyun-ju’s house, so I still had a good meal even though I was not with my family!

In all, I had a busy week-end and I’m now sick…I think I’m getting a cold! It’s the weather….it’s been raining this week-end, and therefore it was cold, cold and cold! My throat has been on fire since yesterday and I feel weak. So I shall go to sleep now….really early!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay you ate with Dr. Gee. So I think I'm definitely coming in May - even if that means selling your car & the other things you left for storage ... he he he I kid I kid.

Anyhoosie ... ttyl yo.
~G