Every time I start feeling like a regular teacher, blending in as much as a foreigner is able to in a homogeneous society, something happens to remind me that I am in fact living and working in Korea!
Since I moved to Gwangju, I think it is safe to humbly attest that I've been something of a star within the education world. Like many other native teachers, I've been specially requested to participate in a variety of educational activities, I've been pulled out of regular classes in order to assist in countless "Open Classes", which are staged events (as far as I’m concerned) viewed by other teachers and school board directors. But to top it all, I've been a guest on a popular talk show aired on national television! Hey...I once took a taxi whose driver was really excited because he had seen me on TV! [Note to self: Why am I leaving Korean again?]
Anyway, I'm not sure why I expected this semester to be any different from the first. Only two weeks since classes started and I've been pulled from Ilshin Elementary (my visiting school) in order to attend Bonchon Elementary (my main school). I was told they needed to make a short video of me teaching a group of 3rd graders. Although I only had a day notice, I figured it wouldn't be worth arguing about since it was probably just a video for the school. So I went to bed Monday night knowing exactly what I would teach -- because a video of me is still a video of me!
So I got to school Tuesday and after 3rd period, a camera man, a director and a host showed up to my classroom! A host? A host for which television station? I thought this was an "in-house" deal, is it not? I should have known better: It never is simple!
To make a long story shorter, they filmed me teaching a small group of students, interviewed Hyunju, had me "role play" with a little girl and all this will air in the near future. I guess I'll have to find out which station!!! =)





















2 comments:
Dude, you are like the super star teacher... hehe. I am happy that you are getting to do some of these things. Just think, if you where here, you would just go about life in a most uneventful way. Have fun lil sis. Soak it all in.
I hear you! It's really amazing being here -- I think I'll have a hard time adjusting to the every day, 1 among many life style back home! I mean, complete strangers won't come up to me and say "Welcome to America!!!!" Gosh...
Post a Comment