A friend of mine has been talking to me about his adventures with his good friend 희대 (Hidè) brother" for quite some time. I finally got to meet him last night and what a hoot he was -- Betty, that word always makes me think of you!
He is a 22 year old college student majoring in English Literature at the private university here in Gwangju. I also got to meet his lovely girlfriend, 미리 (Miri) also majoring in English Literature. Due to the fact that they are "so much younger" than us, 희대 and 미리 would not be our friends if we were Korean! This is just how it is here. Unless you are the same age, you cannot be friends. Instead, you are either a little brother/sister or older brother/sister. But us foreigners abide to and are treated according to a different set of unwritten, inconsistent and unpredictable rules.
At any rate, we had dinner at an amazing restaurant downtown. I can't tell you how many times I walked pass that restaurant and never even thought of dinning there. The best way to describe its atmosphere would be to say it's casual-classy and to describe the food, well....yummy!
After spending my time mostly teasing gullible 희대 (couldn't help myself), we headed out to the university he and 미리 attend. Their college was hosting a mini festival which I enjoyed. There was music, dancing, Korean pizzas (Grace, remember those? We had it with Hyunju along with the slippery noodles!) and beer! I sat there looking at the students' behaviors: the seniors were busy drinking and gossiping while the first year students were cooking and running "errands" (errands such as delivering food and drinks to tables). That was hilarious!
Anyway, since 미리 lives north of me, we caught a cab together. Imagine my surprise when the driver told her I had ridden in his cab before! He even remembered that he had taken me to Yangsan-dong, which is where I used to live. The odds of that happening!
In any case, I had a wonderful time last night and as soon as I get home today, I'll have to pack for my long week-end trip to Jeju-do!!! Yeah....
A few pictures from last night...
희대 and his girlfriend 미리
My friend Rich and I





















1 comment:
Those pancakes were great...can't say the same thing about the noodles though. They were - what's the word - yeah, too slippery. I love you and I miss you!
Post a Comment