Monday, September 8, 2008

My flawed deciphering skills!

The funniest thing, to me at least!

When I first came to Korea, I went shopping for condiments and cooking spices. One of the spices I purchased (although I hardly ever use it even back home) was salt -- or so I thought -- oh, the marvelous effect of language barrier!! I can no longer remember what I used it in, but it ended up giving my food the most unusual taste. Needless to say, I automatically decided I did not like salt in Korea, which was not a big lost to me.

Why am I writing about this now? Well it was not until recently I was visiting a friend about to leave Gwangju and saw she had a huge container of salt. I asked her if I could look at it and find out how they say "salt" in Korean. Turns out, I never owned salt in Korea. Instead, I owned, or own MSG!

How about that! Back home you are careful NOT to purchase anything containing MSG, but here I was buying it and dumping it in my food!



원 (mi-ouon) = MSG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh.my.goodness. That's too funny. All the Asian restaurants in the US tend to advertise "No MSG" and you go ahead and purchase it....love it...and love you!