Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Korea: Birthplace of Taekwondo

Hey you guys!

I finally did it! I finally joined a taekwondo club Monday and found out that I was not born with the gift of kicking and punching the taekwondo way. Shoot...I actually have to work at it. My kickboxing skills are not helping me at all!

In any case, I am a white belt (yeah!!!) and I've been training one-on-one with the Jan-nim (master). I not only have to learn the basic steps of taekwondo, I also have to memorize the name of each step in Korean! After a one-hour lesson, my brain hurts more than my legs and arms.

Little background information about the sport: there are two types of taekwondo: ITF (International Taekwondo Federation) and WTF (World Taekwondo Federation). I'm learning the later since it is the traditional Korean taekwondo. But if I want to continue my lessons once I go back home, I'll most likely find only ITF schools, as I was told. Anyway, I got my uniform Tuesday and was thrilled to practice in it. I can't wait to be as good as my Jan-nim, although he has been training for longer than I've been alive! He showed me a picture of him (black belt, but I don't know which degree he was back then) that he took at some championship in 1985! Yes, I've got a long way to go but am sure enjoying the work!

No comments: