Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Doctor's Orders!

I went back to see the doctor yesterday and it was an adventure getting there by bus: I walked 10 minutes to another bus stop, where the number 30 picks up, got on the bus 10 minutes later then walked another 15 minutes to the medical plaza. There is a bus that would pick me up across the street from my house and that would stop right in front of the plaza, but this dreadful bus only comes about every 130 minutes! The first time I saw the schedule I thought it was a mistake. Why would they have a bus every 1.10 hours? I would never wait for it. I could walk there and come back!

Anyway, I filled out the medical form and gave them my insurance card. I must have done it right since about 10 minutes later I heard "Cynthia-nim"! I followed the nurse to a room in the back and was consulted by the same doctor. We talked a little about my symptoms then he inspected my nostrils as well as my throat. He told me they were both highly inflamed and that I had developed allergies. So I told him about my concern with the mold. He quickly looked up the Korean translation for mold then turned to me and said that this was definitely a problem! He told me mold was the allergen and that I need to get rid of it. That's all I needed to hear!

I am going to my main school tomorrow and will request they move me as soon as possible. I can't and I won't stay here: every time I clean up the mold it only comes back a few weeks later. One, I'm running out of cleaning supplies and two, I’m tired of being sick. I will not accept them to simply come, clean it up and paint it over. I want an apartment in a new-ish, well ventilated building and, as Lauren reminded me today "NOT in a dodgy neighborhood!" =) I kind of like this neighborhood here since I have my church, my friend Lauren and my gym just minutes away. But I REALLY like Il-gok (the neighborhood where I teach on Mondays and Tuesdays). We'll see about that! I’m really not picky!

So the doctor gave me more pills to take as well as a nasal spray...Nasonex! I have to laugh every time I look at the spray as I'm reminded of the Nasonex commercials back home...you know, the one with the French Bee! lol It's a silly commercial, but nevertheless it makes me laugh. I paid 8,000won ($8) for pills for 3 days and “De Nasonex”! Beat that!!!! LOL

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could you make me a hotel reservation near your apartment? Home girl does NOT do mold!
Thanks you're a doll :-)
G