Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Exercising really does release endorphins




I recently joined a gym in my neighborhood and I love it! It's not just about the facility or the excellent work-out I'm getting; it's about walking home afterwards and wanting to skip instead. It's a wonderful feeling and I'm glad to finally be getting back into shape as well as being happy for the sake of being happy -- not that I wasn’t happy, but I’ve been feeling more joyful lately!

WAIT…I cannot tell you about this gym without mentioning "The Gym Nazy". Our first day there, the Korean lady working at the desk told us that since it was our first day in the gym, she wanted to show us around. Alright I thought...NO, not alright! She completely controlled our entire work-out! First we were to spend 20 minutes on the "cycling machine" and then 30 minutes on the treadmill! O...K...do you want that performed in that order? Just checking! So Lauren and I hoped on the machines and there was Nazy Lady explaining to us how the bikes worked. She was basically pointing to the buttons and reading the English words on there to us: I'm not sure, but I don't think she knew we spoke English. The same drill with the treadmill.

After our cardio, she came right over and pointed to the weight machines. She told us we would be working out our chest, or so I understood her to mean. She performed the moves first then we were to mimic her. After demonstrating four machines, she told us to repeat the whole process 2 more times! Alright. Then, she said "Tomorrow...legs!" Ooohhh...I did not realize this gym membership included a personal trainer.

Don't get me wrong here...it was really sweet of her and we definitely felt welcomed! We were laughing about the whole thing the ENTIRE time however, we kind of wished we had a say in it!
You are probably thinking: "Why don't you just tell her you rather work-out on your own?" Silly you, we thought about that! But there is a little thing called "language barrier". We did not want her to interpret us politely asking her to back off as meaning back off! Communication can sometimes be tricky...very tricky actually! So Lauren and I decided that if she would come up to us again, THEN we would try our best to ask her graciously to let us be.
No need! Today we went and as we walked in the gym, she simply handed us our membership cards and never spoke to us again (might be because she left early today—I have no idea who was “guarding” the front, but they seem to be very trusting here).

Well I have since showered, eaten my boiled eggs and now I shall pack for my trip to Seoul tomorrow! I have more pictures in my gallery!

2 comments:

Philogone said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cynthia said...

Not a chance...I wrote this after our second visit.