Friday, December 26, 2008

A Busy Boxing Day!


So I can't say I was depressed yesterday, but I sure did not feel like being social. I ended up not going to dinner at Myung-suk's house and stayed the entire day at home, mostly in bed. I blame it on the weather which was gloomy on Christmas day, with a bit of snow and also on the fact that I missed my family!

However, today was a completely different experience. I woke up early and after calling my family back home to wish them a Merry Christmas, got ready for my busy yet lovely morning. I decided it would be a beautiful day for a walk and therefore dressed in what I thought was warm enough, but would soon find out was not, and set out for a 40 minute walk into town.

BEGINNING HUGE BRACKET [I had to stop by the dentist's office and thought of something~~ Going to see a doctor in Korea is super cheap--my co-pay is 3,000 won (~USD 2.26) to see a specialist; of course, seeing a dentist is more expensive, but let's put it this way: there is no need for me to pay my balance in installments! I've been told that the main reason why a doctor's visit in Korea won't cost you both arms and both legs (with insurance) is because the Korean government pretty much controls the insurance companies. Whatever, no complaints here--I'm just taking care of everything before going back home!] END HUGE BRACKET

I had been walking for about 20 minutes when I started contemplating taking a taxi for I was starting to shiver. Just then, a car pulled up next to me and I saw a very happy Mr. O waving hello! He asked where I was going and if he could offer me a lift...."YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, you have no idea YES!" I thought but said completely composed "Oh my...how nice! Thank you very much Mr. O!". Mr. O and I taught 6th grade together at Ilshin Elementary School. He is one of my favorite teachers to share a classroom with. We talked about his family, Christmas day and then we were there! Although it was a bit out of his way, he drove me all the way to the dentist's office and waved me off!!!

After my short visit with the dentist, I walked over to the nearby Kenya Espresso Coffee Shop in order to brainstorm lessons for the winter vacation English camp. Camp will start January 5th and will last 2 weeks. This last will be my final teaching experience in Korea! **sigh** NOT!!!! I sipped from a hot cup of hazelnut coffee and planned for about an hour before walking to the stationery store to start my list of needed materials. The people there know me and it felt nice to see their smiles and hear them welcoming me into their store.

Come to think of it, I did a lot of walking this morning! After the stationery store, I walked past my school, down past the post office, the bank, countless staring Koreans, young and old and into the grocery store. I shopped for lunch/dinner then finally walked back home in order to prepare my first meal in months! Now that I'm on vacation, I'll have to cook regularly. I usually ate lunch at school, which was a complete meal and had a snack for dinner. Well, no more!

Anyway, I prepared something easy ~~ spaghetti with a meat sauce ~~ and while Sir Monkey and I had a great Boxing day meal, Georges Bizet's Carmen was playing in the background. Mommy, it sure worked! Do you remember playing Carmen in the house in Haiti every Sunday and us complaining about it? You said we would grow to like it and I sure did! I love it and listen to it often.

I will now leave you with pictures to mull over!

Merry Christmas!!!!

2 comments:

Philogone said...

Merry Christmas to you too, my beautiful, brave and big girl.
May God bless you.
I love you,
Mommy

Cynthia said...

And I love you!!!! It's funny how when I was youngER all I wanted to do was spend Christmas with friends (remember?); and this past Christmas, all I wanted to do was spend Christmas with my lovely family!!!!! Ahhhhhhhh.....wisdom, grace and the like!