Gyeongju is a 3 hour drive North-East from Gwangju, therefore we left early in order to make the most of the now short winter days. However, we did not make it to the old capital until after 3:oo pm. First, Pyungjun (Hyunju's husband) felt something was wrong with the car and pulled over to check it out. Turns out that one of the tires was badly worn out! Not wanting to take the chance to drive to the nearest car center or gas station, he called the equivalent of AAA to come help out. In the mean time, we were freezing out "touchies" and laughing at our misfortune. So Pyungjun got the car going in order to turn on the heat---or tried to! New problem...the battery was dead! So we laughed even harder at our double misfortune! I'm thinking this is going to be the best trip ever!!!!
Now we're really cold, but no worries....in less than 15 minutes, the repairman came, fixed both our problems and made an illegal u-turn on the highway to disappear again in a cloud of smoke (he really did not disappear in a cloud of smoke on an asphalted road, but I was trying to be a little dramatic).
So we're all good--right? Well yes, as long as we did not turn off the car until we replaced the battery. So we ended up stopping twice at different rest stops and taking turns going to the bathroom or snack stands in order to keep the car running!!! Ahhhhhhh.....All sorts of memories and laughs which will be ours and ours only. We did make it to Gyeongju in one piece, checked in our hotel and then got the car fixed.
Gyeongju is a wonderful city. There was so much to see and being that we all wanted to spend a relaxing time resting, I'm surprise at the amount of things we did. Super crew! I have attached tons of pictures in the gallery with captions pretty much letting you know what was going on.
Looking at the pictures just make me realize over and over how much I'm going to miss Hyunju and her husband! They are truly a blessing in my life. From the beginning, they made me feel right at home in Korea. Actually, this can be said for many of my Korean friends. I just hope to be able to repay the favor one day, maybe to a visitor of my home!





















2 comments:
Dude, those pictures where really cool.. The bread made me very hungry. I just wish that had it hear, I guess if I really looked I could find some, but then again, no real motivation on that front. Enjoy your remaining days :)
And that bread is mighty good! I though about buying some to bring home, but it would have gone bad by then--there are no preservatives in the red beans, so must be eaten within days...I'll bring other yummies!!!!
Post a Comment