This past week-end, Lauren and I went shopping at the Underground Grocer. This last is a tiny grocery store run by a foreigner that offers a variety of western delicacies, otherwise mostly unavaible in Korea. Foods you might find at the Underground might include Popcorn (a personal all time favorite), cheddar cheese, lamb, oatmeal, granola, canned tuna in water, even albacore (in Korea, the tuna floats only in oil...yak), among many more hard to find yummies.
The only catch is that since these products are hard to find and there isn't any competition around, the prices are high. There are a couple of Cosco stores in bigger cities but if you happen to live in Gwangju and just want to walk-in and get on with your life, the Underground Grocer is the place to visit.
So after contemplating the rare items available (and a few overly enthusiastic "Ahh..you even have....!"), I decided I would in fact indulge a bit! This is what I got for a hefty 19,300 won (~USD19.00). Seriously though, in general the prices are not that bad! =)
Couscous for 4,300won (~USD4.00)
Quacker Granola for 14,000 won (~USD14.00) That's expensive even back home!
And my favorite, one pack of microwavable (lol) of Orville Popcorn for 1,000 won (USD1.00)!





















2 comments:
$14 for the Quaker cereal!!!! It's $5 something here. I love it though....oh so delish :-)
Pitit! AND....they bought it at Costco, so probably paid $14.00 for the 3 pack! LOL
Post a Comment