Monday, October 20, 2008

Disturbing and Irritating thoughts from the sky

Originally Written: October 17, 2008

Sitting here on an airplane bound for South Korea, I’ve been pondering over a very important upcoming event: The American Elections. I find myself torn over what to mark on that ever so important document. Not too long ago, I was a confident and keyed up voter but it all changed overnight and I’m not even sure how or why. (In fact, things might change again...)

In any case, I have been a strong supporter of Barack Obama since I first laid eyes on him. Getting to know him, whether it be from news reports or reading his biographies, only increased my support for him. The more I heard from and of him, the more I dreamed about having him as my president. I was so excited and I could not wait to vote! (Re-writing this paragraph now just ignited my support for him all over again..lol)

However, I am a Catholic and the moral issues involved in electing a liberal democrat into office have suddenly caused me a great deal of trouble. After many failed attempts to convince myself to vote solely on my values, I cannot…no, I refuse to give my vote on the republican nominee, John McCain and his running mate Sarah Palin.

So do you understand my dilemma? It’s IRRITATING me to the core!!!! LOL

Therefore, as profoundly idiotic this may seem to many devout readers (as it does to me from time to time), I have decided to relinquish my right to have a voice in my own country and will not cast a ballot. I’m so upset at the same time. I went through so much getting this absentee ballot and it bothers me (to the core, again…lol) that I will not let my voice be heard and therefore will have to adopt a “JPP” attitude on issues for the next 4 years.

But as a Catholic, I cannot bring myself to ignore my Christian based values. At the same time, this shows me how little faith I truly have! Lord, have mercy on me...

2 comments:

Philogone said...

My Dear Confused Christian:
I know that you know that voting is as much a right as a civic duty, and that shying away from a duty because it is too difficult is not very 'Christiany'. Then, I rest assured that you will do what Christians do when they don't know what to do: you will ask Jesus and wait in silence.
Love,
M

Cynthia said...

LOL..Philogone! Are you going incognito? LOL
No but really, I know, I know! But yes, rest assured I will pray and we'll see!